Monday, August 16, 2010

A Tibidgin of Mount Angel

Disclaimer: if a word is not showing up, just highlight it. I will get Darin to fix that as soon as he comes home from Craigslisting! Thanks!

Ahem... I have so much to say about the new town I have inhabited for the past six weeks. I have virtually nothing negative to say about it. Most people are incredibly friendly and welcoming, everything is walking distance, beauty and history abound.

Here's some more information from the town's painful website:

"Mt. Angel is located 18 miles northeast of Salem on Highway 214. Founded in the late 1800s by German settlers, this town has an Old World flavor which is heightened by the many Bavarian style storefronts and the beautiful Benedictine Abbey. They celebrate their German heritage each year during the Oktoberfest, held in September.

Mt. Angel Abbey, set high above Mt. Angel on a 300 foot bluff is a century old Benedictine monastic community built in 1883 by Swiss Benedictine monks. Views from the bluff include Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams, as well as the lush Willamette Valley farmland. The beautiful library, designed by Alvar Aalto, stores a priceless collection of illuminated manuscripts, and features a display of rare, hand printed books."

Also, Mt. Angel is home to Oktoberfest, held this year from Sep. 16-19! I am beyond excited. I am envisioning waking up each morning and picking up a cinnamon roll for breakfast, tending to a slightly inebriated husband, free pony rides for Rowena and friends, and hosting a slew of friends and family for four days. I am pretty sure it will be a blur. The town is buzzing with excitement over the upcoming Oktoberfest!

My friend Natalie's visit a couple years ago. See the monk! EXCITING!


The view from Mt. Angel Abbey on a cloudy day


Looking from the Abbey hill's east side


The Abbey has a fantastic museum that Rowena and I enjoy visiting.
Here's one of the many taxidermied delights:


Mt. Angel's Glockenspiel chimes four times a day. AWESOME.
We see it perform so much that I have it memorized.
Photo via JamesJM


One of my favorite things are the town's public restrooms.
"Herren und Damen"


It's bloody hot here today, but an outfit post is coming anyway. Because I love you guys.


2 comments:

  1. Wheezer! I had no idea you had started a blog again! YAY!!! you inspire me....hmmm..... =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Mt Angel! What a fabulous place to live! ...ps. I love this picture of us!!!

    ReplyDelete

Rants and raves welcome! Please alert me to any typos. (Seriously.) Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts with Thumbnails