Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Shades of Blue

I recently received this skirt (and the white version) from Shade's final sale. I've been wanting both since the lookbook came out last winter! They reminded me of sockhops... not that I know what one would wear to a sockhop. I am a tad disappointed in the quality; the fabric is very thin, wrinkles easily, and doesn't "flow" like I expected. From the catalog pictures, I thought I would be able to twirl. Humph. That said, I think the skirt will do nicely in the summers with bare legs and t-shirts.
Skirt: Shade Clothing
Turtleneck: Gap
Tights: Hot Sox via Marshall's
Necklace: Forever 21
Platform clogs: Seychelles, birthday gift from parents
I will miss Shade. It's a little sentimental for me because my dear Mormon friend and fellow Gap employee Amber introduced me to them. Our store had a Shade kiosk right in front of it! When women would try to buy our camis, I'd pull a Miracle on 34th Street and urge them to buy Shade's superior layering pieces instead. Rest in peace, Shade! I sincerely hope you come back from the dead someday. Just make sure you come back with thick, flowy 50s-inspired skirts.

In coffee-related news, have you guys tried Starbucks Via yet? Yes, it is Starbucks, and yes, it is instant coffee. When you're in a hurry and just want a good cup of java, Via is a great choice. I prefer not to support Starbucks too much (I prefer supporting local coffee business), but this stuff is great. I am drinking the caramel-flavored right now and am in coffee heaven.
Love to you!

21 comments:

  1. I am in love with your shoes! Also a big fan of Via...my dad put tons in our stockings for Christmas last year and I just ran out. Looks like I will pick up some more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke, what a good idea! I never thought of that... I need to start making my list for Santa stat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute!

    I'm a new follower of your blog and would love it if you'd take a look at mine. :)

    Style Explosion

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had it before, but I'll swing by and pick some up. I'm not much of an instant coffee fan, but I've heard good things about it.

    I love this outfit on you, by the way. so cute and effortless. That necklace is just, wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! You're looking adorable! I love that skirt. What a beautiful color. Oh and the Interview at sock monkey & gee is absolutely great! You're so cute!;) xx, Alice

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love a good bow tie skirt! And those heels are awesome. Loving the wooden platforms lately.

    No, I haven't tried the Starbucks via yet. I'm still a little hesitant about trying it, but we'll see : ) Perhaps someday when I'm in a real huryr.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look amazing in that skirt! You've given me some inspiration for today's outfit...it's my first day at my new job! Just filling out paperwork, but I still wanna look good. :)

    As for the Via...I'm not much of a coffee drinker (I prefer tea), but I LOVE Via! It's perfect for me, because I can have just one cup at a time, without getting out the French press.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a beautiful look. I love that bright blue skirt and your shoes! I just discovered your blog. It is so cute and charming. I am definitely going to follow it!

    thequeenofwanderlust.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is sad that Shade clothing closed down :-( I was one of the first few people who heard about it (I think) because of our little circle of modest fashionisita blogs.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I like your layout and blog name---too cute! Your outfit is adorable as well :)

    Let's keep in touch!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just stumbled upon your blog and I love it! The title is charming and your style is lovely. I especially adore your necklace :o)!


    Penelope

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh! I love this outfit - That skirt is awesome!

    Www.kenziefaith.blogsopt.com x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! I just found your blog and you are adorable! I read your last few posts and am loving the looks you put together! This skirt is really cute on you, it doesn't photograph as light or flimsy at all. Loving the shoes also!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh I totally saw this skirt at shade and loved it. They're having a huge warehouse sale tomorrow where everything is $1 ahhh I'm excited. But yes I'll miss shade a ton too.

    Wearing It On My Sleeves

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love that blue skirt...the buttons and bows are so wonderful on it. i had heard about Shade but never got anything from them. how sad they shut down.
    i always fall in love with those shoes when you wear them.
    i finally got some clog type shoes from forever21 on monday..i am excited to wear them!!
    you look beautiful as always!! <3
    xoox

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just discovered the caramel flavored Via last week and it is all I have been drinking in the mornings since. Delicious. Your skirt is perfect. I love that shade of blue with the black & the pop of red. I have a skirt in a similar shade...you have just totally inspired me to pair it with black.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This skirt is pretty! I'm sorry to hear that it's sheer and wrinkles easy though...I wouldn't of been able to tell if you hadn't said anything which is good, right? =]

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just discovered your blog via sock monkey & gee! I hope its okay for me to comment! That outfit is super cute! I love those shoes and the necklace is awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. cute skirt! and i have those shoes too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. everything u wear is pretty ! lol i have not heard about Starbucks Via yet , not a super big fan of them cause me myself prefer local coffee house , those really old ones with a lot of old folks gathers around to drink and chat, i love the nostalgic feeling

    ReplyDelete

Rants and raves welcome! Please alert me to any typos. (Seriously.) Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts with Thumbnails