Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Broccoli Cheese Goodness

This soup is perfect for those cold rainy days that take seemingly permanent residence in our Oregon winters. I made this soup twice this week and ate the leftovers for lunch the next day. It's delicious accompanied with roast chicken and a hot loaf of crusty seed bread. This recipe is my own, made by editing online recipes and such: feel free to add and subtract ingredients to your taste!Ingredients:
1 tablespoon butter, melted
Medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup flour
1 cup cream
3 cups chicken stock
1 pound fresh broccoli
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups white sharp cheddar (I use Tillamook Vintage White)
2 cups mild cheddar

Saute onion in butter. Set aside. Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Make a roux by stirring constantly and slowly add the cream. Add the chicken stock whisking all the time. Simmer for 10 minutes.

Add the broccoli and onions. Cook over low heat until the veggies are tender for 20-25 minutes. Add salt and pepper. The soup should be thickened by now. Return to pot over low heat and add the grated cheese; stir until well blended. Stir in the nutmeg and serve.

(For a variation, add some grated carrots! Put it in a blender! When it comes to soup, you are your own rainbow. I love Napoleon Dynamite.)

What is your favorite winter soup?

8 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy! Perfect for a chilly winter night. I generally stick to chicken noodle, but I had potato and leek soup once and it was kind of the best thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm, that soup looks SO yummy! My personal favorite is mushroom cream soup but this! I have to try this soon :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum- I'll have to try your recipe- it is much more recipe-y than my version. By the way- where is your chocolate chop cookie recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh how fun! I've never been a broccoli fan, I'm a lentil girl myself! :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is perfect... I Love broccoli...and cheese!

    www.clothedmuch.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds delicious! It's definitely going in my recipe rotation after the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious. I've never tried making broccoli cheddar soup before, but now I just might!

    My favorite winter soup is cream of mushroom. My mouth is watering just thinking about it :)

    ReplyDelete

Rants and raves welcome! Please alert me to any typos. (Seriously.) Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts with Thumbnails