Friday, January 21, 2011

Fashion Beauty Friend Friday

This weeks's FBFF questions focus on authenticity and being the genuine article.

1. Most readers and fellow fashion bloggers value authenticity in the
blogs they read. How would you describe blog/blogger authenticity?

Judy Garland said,
"Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else." Enough said.

2. When it comes to your blog how to you infuse it with that true/authentic feeling?

I have to throw a little caution to the wind. I know that it may cost me some readership, but then I remember that I'm primarily here to make friends. I try to write the way I speak: I really do say the word 'lovely,' I really do keep fake poo in my purse, and I am utterly passionate about Fred Astaire and Jimmy Stewart. I keep it as real as I can, even though it can be difficult. Blogging would be so much easier if people I knew didn't read my blog!

3. Have you stopped following a blog in the last three months? What made you lose interest?

Yes, I have. (Sorry, Perez! Kidding.) Some have been completely obsessed with sponsorship and advertising, which turned me off. Others have lacked personality and originality, and perhaps a tad too self-deprecating. The blogs I follow need to have a positive, honest, warm quality. I also don't like it when style bloggers bring politics into the mix. I come to their blog for the fashion, not their opinion on hot-button topics! For me, even as a strongly opinionated woman, it blurs the blog a little bit.

4. We can't communicate effectively on our blogs, something we don't live in real life... what are some ways you try to live an authentic life?

Since I live in Oregon (and especially when I lived in Portland), there's this ridiculous pressure to be 'hipster.' I am not. I eat organics, bake a lot, and drink unfiltered apple cider vinegar, but that's about it. But clothing-wise? I don't accept pressure.

5. Give a shout-out... Which bloggers do you think are truly genuine and why?

I'll give you three off the top of my large head:
Suze: She is car-a-zay with patterns and is unapologetic for it! She is good-hearted and oblivious to 'blogger-status.' She welcomes everyone.

Emily: She is so funny, so welcoming, so amiable, and just the right amount of snarky. I also really like her nose.

Jessica: She seems to get hurt and sick a lot. HAHAHA! Just kidding, but this girl is real. She has the perfect balance of sweet and sour. Like Chinese chicken.

Erin: This girl's been getting hurt a lot too... so has Lisa... (Get well soon, girls!) But seriously, both women have been utterly supportive of me and are the epitome of 'real.' Man, this list is getting long and is sorely incomplete. (I'm working on getting a list of my favorite bloggers... coming soon!)

I'd love to know:
How can I improve my authenticity?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rants and raves welcome! Please alert me to any typos. (Seriously.) Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts with Thumbnails