Thursday, January 13, 2011

I Dress Myself

It's Friend Friday! Let's talk about planning (and not planning) outfits.

1. How do you determine what you will wear that day?


One thing only: my mood. Some days I'm a 1930s Hollywood starlet. Other days, I'm am angst-ridden teenager or stylish old lady. And some days, I have my period.

2. Do you plan outfits in advance for a whole week, month, weekend?

No, I don't. When I have to work early in the morning, I lay out my outfit the night before so I don't wake up Darin. (This works great, because the outfit 'mulls' in my brain as I drift away to Dreamland.) Every other day, I just peek in my closet and give my imagination some free rein.

3. Do you have any specific way of tracking outfits and items already worn so you don't repeat?

Not really... I've been known to wear my black-plaid dress 5 days in a row, with different colors and accessories. Lately, I've tried to give each piece of clothing some exercise so I know whether to keep it, give it away, or sell it in my shop. I think that outfits should be repeated, actually. If it ain't broke...

4. How do you discover new combinations of items in your closet? (Trial try-ons? Hanging items together?)

I stare into my closet. I find one piece that I really really want to wear that day, and I create my outfit around that particular piece. (It might be a necklace, pair of tights, or a dress.) I try to stay within a color scheme, but as you know, I am no stranger to clashing.

5. To streamline the process for 2011 what is one new thing you can do to cut down your dressing time?


I need to go through my closet and eliminate items that I am solely keeping for sentimental reasons. I need less stuff to streamline and save time. I keep a box of too-small clothing in the attic that I keep 'just in case.' I have also been asking myself the question, "Would Rowena want to wear this?" I sorely wish that my mother had kept her amazing clothing from the sixties... she had this awesome hippie-aesthetic with a 50s classic twist. Oh, how I wish she would have kept her apple dress!
Any tips or ideas that you'd like to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rants and raves welcome! Please alert me to any typos. (Seriously.) Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts with Thumbnails