Friday, January 21, 2011

When the World was Younger

Tunic: Red Dress Shoppe
Earrings: Forever 21
Hoodie: Gap
Vest: Shade
Jean Leggings: Old Navy
Boots: Steven 'Masen'
One spring day after high-school finals, my friend Mandy and I drive to the Olive Garden for lunch to celebrate. As we stroll into the practically vacant restaurant and take our seats, I notice a somewhat elderly man sitting alone in the corner booth. He reads a newspaper and hasn't yet received his food. I think to myself, "No one should eat alone." I walk right up to his table (without consulting Mandy) and politely ask him if he would like to join us.

Completely taken aback, the man mutters, "Um, no thank you." I smile and return to my table. Minutes later, he ambles to our table and awkwardly asks if the offer still stands. Of course it does, so he breaks bread with an understandably hesitant Mandy and me. He tells us about his family, his dogs, how TV was better back then, how he and his daughter don't really talk anymore. After the ravioli and endless breadsticks vanish, we say our goodbyes and he thanks us for the company.

I didn't tell you this story to advertise how great I am (or was at seventeen year old.) Rather, I ask myself, would I show that same kindness today? I'm honestly not sure. I'm not sure, and that saddens me. I want to better myself, and in some respects, 'backtrack' to a kinder, simpler Louise. Yeah. Like that.

Aaaaaanyway, I loved my outfit today-- the boots make me think of folding caramel and zippers. TGIF!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rants and raves welcome! Please alert me to any typos. (Seriously.) Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts with Thumbnails