Thursday, March 10, 2011

Banish Thin Women?

I was recently strolling through the mall on my way back from a failed Clinique expedition at Macy's. That's neither here nor there, but I'm still reeling from the tragic loss of a free lip smoothie. Not really. I'm okay.

I suddenly stopped in my tracks. A massive neon sign blinked above its curvy mannequin display. "NO SKINNY." I couldn't believe it! No skinny? As in, no thin people allowed? Two things went through my mind:
1: What a crappy store name.
2: That's a dreadful way to make a point.

I was immediately recalled to my middle school years, where girls would ridicule and ostracize others to feel better about themselves. We all know how that logic turns out.

When I got home, I Googled the NoSkinny website, hoping to find more positivity than their name suggests. Alas! Here's the home page text that I copied and pasted with no editing whatsoever:

"We Provide A Unique Social Shopping Experience For Bigger Teens Unlike Any Other In The Mall That Makes Bigger Girls The Envy* Of Their Skinny Peers."

* a feeling of discontented or resentful longing aroused by someone
else's possessions, quality or luck

Wow. Not only does the company blacklist thin women, they want them to feel discontented and resentful. Um, you go girl? I don't know about you, but this upsets me. In the company's so-called efforts to make plus-sized women feel accepted, they've become sizeist.

There are only a few NoSkinny stores in Oregon, but the mentality is universal. In the commendable efforts to spread 'fat acceptance,' many women below a size six are left out in the cold. Women are angry at Crystal Renn for (healthily) losing weight. Women tell their skinny friend to 'eat a cheeseburger' accompanied by an eye-roll. After all, the skinny girls should be lightly punished and taunted for their pathetic lack of love-handles.

I'm not going to say anything new or groundbreaking, as others before me have said it so well. You are beautiful. Size 0, size twenty-two. Black or white. Brown or yellow. Curly or straight. Oily or dry. Full lips or thin. I hope that someday I will live in a world where we not only accept each other's physical differences, we embrace them.

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rants and raves welcome! Please alert me to any typos. (Seriously.) Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts with Thumbnails